The 1915 Panama-California Exposition held in Balboa Park introduced Spanish Colonial Revival architecture to Southern California and to millions of visitors. The California Building and its tower, the Spreckels Organ Pavilion and the “temporary” buildings along El Prado have stirred the souls of San Diegans for over 90 years.
During the 1960s two wonderful buildings on the Plaza de Panama were demolished. The Science and Education Building was replaced by the modern west wing of the San Diego Museum of Art; the Home Economy Building was replaced by the Timken Museum building. Four other “temporary” buildings on El Prado were destined to meet the same fate.
A group of determined people stepped up and brought a halt to the destruction. Since its formation in 1967, The Balboa Park Committee of 100 has been a strong advocate for these buildings, raising funds and public support for the bonds that financed reconstruction of the remaining temporary buildings, which have now been rebuilt along with the two missing arcades.
Who we are
Immediate Past President
M. Wayne Donaldson
Nelson “Tommy” Hernandez
Michael D. Robinson
Pam Miller - Chairwoman
James Bonner Ronald Buckley Betsey Frankel Tom Jackson Michael Kelly
Gerald Kolaja Richard Lareau Vincent Marchetti Cub Parker Kay Rippee
Interested in joining?
We're always looking for new volunteers to support our work. If you're interested in finding out more or joining any of our committees, please email our membership chair by following this link